- List all branches:
- List all remote branches:
git branch -aa
- Create the branch on your local machine and switch to this branch:
git checkout -b <branch name>
- Create a new branch:
git branch <branch name>
- Rename current branch:
git branch -m <new branch name>
- Rename other branch:
git branch -m <old branch name> <new branch name>
- Delete a branch:
git branch -d <branch name>
- List all commits from all branches:
git log --all
- Check the history of a file:
git log <filename>
- Compare two branches by showing which commits from the first branch are missing from the second branch:
git log [first branch name]..[second branch name]
- Show git log based on commit author:
git log --author="Author Name"
- Show git log with date:
git log --before="Oct 20"
- Check the state of the working directory and the staging area:
- Trigger an empty commit to start some jobs :
git commit --allow-empty -m "Trigger notification"
- Pull changes from remote:
- Add a change in a file to the staging area:
git add <file name>
- Stage everything in the directory:
git add .
- Change the message of the last commit:
git commit --amend
- Undo uncommitted changes to a file:
git checkout <filename>
- Revert all the changes in the current working directory with the checked out branch:
git checkout .
- Revert the previous commit:
git revert HEAD
- Revert the changes from previous 3 commits without making commit:
git revert --no-commit HEAD~3.
- Discard all local changes to all files permanently:
git reset --hard
- Discard all local changes, but save them for later:
Thank you. Share feedback and git commands you find useful in the comments .